If you’re interested in wearing a lace front wig but are a bit intimidated about how to install one without using glue and adhesives, then I have the perfect solution for you.
Glueless lace front wigs are hand-knotted all over that do not require any adhesive and usually have adjustable straps, which can be found in the back of the wig, and a ribbon front that goes along the hairline. There are also little combs on different parts around the base that allow you to clip the wig to your natural hair.
Sounds pretty cool, right? If you would like to learn more about glueless lace front wigs and their benefits, keep reading!
The Pros & Cons of Glueless Lace Front Wigs
The main pro of glueless wigs is that they don’t require any glue. Using glue to secure your wig to your head is the number one reason for receding hairlines and traction alopecia at the hairline. That said, the con of these wigs is that there is limited versatility in styling, especially if you want to intricate style or ponytails.
As with anything in this life, there are benefits and drawbacks to things that need to be considered. However, at a glance at the table below, you can see that the benefits of glueless lace front wigs far outweigh the drawbacks! Let’s take a closer look:
|The Pros of Wearing Glue-less Lace Front Wigs:||The Cons of Wearing Glue-less Lace Front Wigs:|
|Your hairline is protected.||Limited versatility in styling.|
|They are convenient.||May slip off, especially if you are an active person.|
|You are able to treat your natural hair as often as you please.||Takes some practice and experience to get it right.|
|They are easy to maintain and easy to install and remove.||Incorrect knowledge of how to attach your lace wig can lead to damaged hairline.|
|Safe to use for people who have allergies to the latex in glues and adhesives.||May not last as long as other types of wigs.|
|They have a silk base which makes the wig scalp look more realistic.|
|These wigs have baby hairs all around the unit. This increases the density of the hairline which gives it a more natural look.|
|Promotes natural hair growth. Using wig glue can block your pores and prevent hair growth or thin your hair.|
These glueless wigs are becoming more and more popular as they offer the same stylish and natural style without the hassle of messy and time-consuming installation procedures as they are secured without the use of glue or tape during installation.
They are also much safer to use as they are easy to remove, and no damage is caused to your natural hairline due to harmful glues and adhesives which some people may be allergic to.
Now that you know the benefits and the disadvantages, let’s take a look at an easy step-to-step guide of how to wear your glueless lace front wig effortlessly!
How To Install Your Glueless Lace Front Wig
Most glueless lace front wigs have adjustable straps attached to the base of the wig to allow for a secure and snug fit when the wig is worn. The base designs of glueless wigs may vary, and the placement of the combs may be different depending on which company you purchased your wig from.
To install your glueless lace front wig, secure your hair under a wig cap, use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to wipe the dirt off the edge of your head. Place the wig on your head, ensure that it has the combs placed on different sides of the wig(where your ears are positioned and on the sides of the back of the wig). Cut the excess lace off.
Though no matter the design, all glueless lace fronts will sit safely and securely on your head. With that being said, let’s take a closer look at how to correctly install your glueless lace front wig:
- Check the combs are correctly positioned. Ensure that the wig you have purchased has the small combs placed on different sides of the lace wig, around where your ears are positioned and on the sides of the back of the head.
- Ensure that your natural hair is flat and secured under your wig cap. This can be achieved by braiding your natural hair into cornrows. Or you can simply tie it into a neat ponytail and braid it at the nape of your neck. How you secure your natural hair is based on the texture and length of your hair.
- Prep your hairline. Use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the dirt and sweat off your hairline and the edge of your head.
- Put the lace wig on your head. Carefully, but firmly, grip your natural hair using the small combs inside the wig. You may need to adjust the cap size if the wig does not sit snugly on your head.
- Remove the excess lace. You may then cut the excess lace on the hairline of the wig, be careful not to cut the actual hair on the hairline of the lace wig. Cut only the lace.
- You may then style the baby hairs to your liking if you see fit. Some lace front wigs already have baby hairs plucked, others may require you to pluck the baby hairs yourself.
There you have it! You are now ready to rock your new look without the added concern of your wig falling off or slipping. With that being said, you may be wondering if there any different ways to secure your glueless wig for added security. Keep reading to find out!
Additional Ways to Secure your Glueless Lace Front Wig.
Wig grips are ideal for installing your wig; it creates more surface area for application if the wig is too big. They are made from a velvet-like material and won’t snag on your natural hairline. Place the wig grip on your head where you want your wig to be, secure it using the attached velcro. Then, place the wig along the wig grip to secure it.
This method of application usually comes in strips that are evenly portioned out. You can find wig tape for a reasonable price from Amazon, with lots of different brands and colors to your liking! Here’s how you do it:
- Secure your natural hair and prep your hairline.
- Apply a thin layer of scalp protector on your skin immediately before your hairline.
- Apply the wig tape to this area.
- Place the wig carefully on the wig tape and press down firmly to secure it.
These can be purchased from pretty much any craft or drug store in your area and will not cost you an arm and a leg either! This method will also be helpful if the wig is too big for your head. Here’s how you do it:
- Sew the band across the nape area horizontally.
- The elastic band works like a drawstring, so simply pull it into place.
Want to learn more about wigs and going glueless? Check out our other article for additional information and tips!
The best thing about glueless front lace wigs is that you can take the wig off at the end of the day to let your natural hair breathe, and wash days are also made easier. You are still able to install these wigs using glue and adhesives but there is no reason to do so due to the built-in straps. A glueless lace front wig offers the same secure fit, sp you do not have to worry about your wig slipping or even shifting!
How long goes a glueless lace frontal wig last?
In general, glueless lace front wigs only last between 4-5 days and this is even when you do spend enough time maintaining it. With that being said, this option is still worth it as you will certainly be saving your scalp from a lot of irritation!
Can I use glue on a glueless wig?
While you can do this, it almost defeats the entire objective of wearing a glueless headpiece. This can cause problems such as blocking your pores due to the wig glue. Additionally, you may even suffer from an allergic reaction.