Stitched clip-in extensions are made by sewing the hair onto a piece of durable fabric which is the traditional method of making clip-in hair extensions. While seamless hair extensions are made by bonding the hair in silicone strips rather than being sewn.
What are clip in hair extensions?
Your hairstyle is often synonymous with your outfit for the day. A great hairstyle can make a huge difference to your appearance as a decorative accessory. Long and thick curls could be the look you are trying to achieve for a dance or a formal, but sadly, overnight hair growth formulas are not available yet, the next best thing would be to opt for clip in hair extensions to give you the desired look in a short time available.
Pros of Clip Ins
- Gives the wearer lots of styling versatility as the clip ion hair extensions can be put in or taken out on a daily basis.
- There is no commitment as they are the least permanent type of hair extensions, so color and length can be changed whenever you like.
- They are very easy to put in and take out, with no need to go to a salon.
- Compared to other extension methods, it is relatively affordable.
- These extensions will cause little to no damage to your hair.
Most clip-in hair extensions come in one big ‘halo’ piece or in multiple pieces (called wefts). These wefts usually range in width for different areas of the head such as one clip for the area in front of the ear, to three or four clips for the back of the head. The difference in clip in hair extensions lies in how the hair is attached or bonded to make the wefts.
Stitched/classic clip-in hair extensions:
Classic or stitched clip-in hair extensions are typically sewn onto french lace or other durable material. These type of clip-in hair extensions slightly bulge at the roots of your hair as they do not lay flat. This creates a beautiful volume.
You see, the thing is, the best hair extensions are those that are able to firstly blend really well with your natural hair, and the most importantly; are going to be best suited for your lifestyle.
For example, if you are a person who showers often due to 3 times a day workout, or if you are a dancer, or if you are a swimmer or just a generally an active person – perhaps it is best to consider temporary methods of hair extensions like clip-ins because they can be taken out for the duration of your activities.
Additionally, this will also provide longevity of your hair extensions, as well as ensure proper hygiene of the scalp and hair, therefore, preventing any damage to your natural hair.
How to care for Clip-in hair extensions
The longevity of your clip-in hair extensions will depend on how well you take care and maintain them, which hair care products you use or don’t use as well as how often you wear them. With proper care, they can last anywhere from 3-6 months for up to a year or even longer.
Stitched clip in hair extensions is best for wearers who:
- have lots of hair strands, medium-thick short hair, or a blunt haircut
- prefer more volume at your roots
- plan to use them for ponytails or updos
- plan to dye the extensions (the fabric can be dyed
Seamless clip-in hair extensions:
There is another, different type of clip-in method available on the market; they are called seamless clip in hair extensions or silicone-weft extensions. This type of extensions could bring even more of a natural look for you than the stitched or classic wefts, as they are made with a very thin weft band made from silicone that lays astonishingly flat against the head. If you have thin, fine hair and stitched clip-ins are too bulky or heavy for your natural hair; you can try this seamless option.
This kind of hair extensions have become very popular as they are extremely light weights so do not pull or create tension on your natural hair, therefore do not damage or break your hair. The seamless hair extensions Are bonded with silicone so they are able to lay flat against the head are virtually undetectable. Additionally, because they are bonded by way of silicon, it takes a lot more tension to cause the wefts to shed or lose hair.
Seamless hair extensions are designed and constructed in such a way to look thick and undetectable. Similar to tape in hair extensions, there are no rows of wefts sewn to a piece of lace, unlike the traditional wefted clip-ins. Therefore, because of the nature of the silicone backing, you may require more pieces to achieve your desired thickness and length.
How to care for Seamless Clip-in hair extensions
You are required to care for seamless hair extensions like any other hair extensions, however, when it comes to washing them, it is highly advised to avoid getting the silicon backing of the weft be fully submerged under water for any longer than 20 minutes.
The water can get under the silicon and seep into the cavity and as a result; may not dry as well as the fabric clip in hair extensions. It is recommended that sulphate free shampoo, conditioners and any other hair products are used on hair extensions so that the hair does not dry out.
Seamless clip in hair extensions is best for wearers who:
- have fine & short hair or have a fine – medium hair type with an average amount of hair
- want a more natural look with less volume at the root
- have highlighted hair
Best tips and tricks on how to care for your hair extensions:
Whether you’re new to the world of hair extensions or have dabbled in them in the past, it is always great to keep abreast with the newest and most improved ways of how to care for your hair and hair extensions. It is always important to have a good hair care routine with your hair extensions from the beginning because good habits result in long-lasting extensions.
- Extensions can soak up your hair’s natural oil, therefore, it is crucial that you wash them to maintain shape and quality.
- Some of the hair fibers may fall out if you allow your extensions to get too greasy.
- Wash them gently – soak extensions in warm water in a bowl or sink. Use a gentle, clarifying shampoo free from sulfate.
- Cover them gently – don’t scrub and lather the hair in the shampoo as you would with your natural hair. This will result in knots and tangles.
- Gently, rub it down the length of the extension, and rinse thoroughly with cold, clean water.
- Don’t comb or brush extensions while they’re wet. You’ll risk tearing out the hair.
- Do not blow-dry. Allow them to dry naturally before combing.
Hydrate with care:
- And please remember, it’s extremely important to use high-quality sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- You want to keep the hair hydrated and full of moisture.
- You want to make sure you have a quality Shampoo, Conditioner, and Leave-In Conditioner for the next steps.
Comb and moisturize:
- Once your extensions are dry, comb them with a wide-tooth comb and remove any tangles.
- Extensions can dry out in the colder months, especially when you heat style them.
- A little leave-in conditioner should do the trick.
- be careful not to over-moisturize, this will make them oily and heavy.
This type of hair extension and attachment method is very popular, the reason is that clip in hair extensions are so easy to maintain and apply. And they will be perfectly blended with your natural hair and create a full look for you. Additionally, this method is least permanent and lacks the disadvantages such as traction alopecia caused by glue or other extensions method.