If you’re wondering if you can transform your hair from being brittle and dry to being silky smooth and nourished, you’ve come to the right place.
Dry hair is not permanent because it’s caused when the scalp is stripped of its natural oils and can be fixed by replacing the moisture. Therefore dry hair is a condition and not a hair type. So in order to repair dry hair, we have to get back those natural oils.
If you’re as tired as I am of wasting money on treatments that don’t work to fix your dry hair, then this is your lucky day! I have mapped out all the home remedies that I have gotten the best results with.
Since we’re all friends here, I’ve decided to share them with you. Take a look!
9 Home Remedies To Fix Extremely Dry Hair
1. Take Your Vitamins
We all know that we need certain vitamins in our body to boost our immune system and overall health. Well, what about the vitamins that nourish and rejuvenate our hair? Vitamins such as Vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin H (also known as biotin) are all important for healthy hair.
If you have extremely dry hair then it will be worth your while to start eating foods high in those vitamins or even getting supplements.
Another organic substance that is good for hair rejuvenation and nourishment are your omega-3s. You’ll have healthy-looking hair in no time.
2. Coconut Oil Hair Mask
This is by far my favorite home remedy on this list! Coconut oil not only has moisturizing and soothing effects, it also acts as a natural emollient. This means that coconut oil fills the gap in your hair strands that have been damaged by the sun or excessive heat. Amazing!
Studies have been done to prove how good coconut oil is at penetrating hair fibers, it leaves your hair looking and feeling nourished. I recommend treating your hair to a coconut hair mask at least once a week if you have really dry hair.
This is how you can prepare the mask:
- Make sure that your hair is dry and the coconut oil is at room temperature.
- Rub some coconut oil in your hands before you apply it to your hair.
- Apply the coconut oil to your hair, make sure that you focus on the ends of your hair, the root of your hair, and also the crown of your head.
- Saturate your hair in the coconut oil as you repeat the above process. Do not soak your hair in coconut oil.
- Leave the oil on your head for 20 minutes to allow it to soak in.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly to get as much of the coconut oil out as possible
3. Try An Avocado
Avocados are rich in vitamins A and E as well as saturated fats and minerals. These all play a vital role in nourishing and moisturizing hair. Avocado hair masks are a great way to restore extremely dry hair.
Here’s how to prepare the hair mask:
- Peel a ripe avocado and mash it.
- Mix an egg into the mashed avocado to make a well-incorporated mixture.
- Apply the mixture to your wet hair and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair out thoroughly.
4. Yoghurt and Oil Hair Mask
If there was ever a strange combination of two foods, this is it. This yogurt and oil mask may not be good to eat but it definitely is good for your hair! The oil will give your hair the moisture it needs and the protein in the yogurt promotes healthy and strong hair. The lactic acid in yogurt is also said to have properties that cleanse the scalp and helps get rid of dead skin.
Here’s how to prepare the yoghurt and oil hair mask:
- Take half-a-cup of yogurt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 6 drops of any essential oil. Mix these together till they are well incorporated.
- Apply the mixture to clean, shampooed hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly using warm water.
5. Apply Botanical Oils
These oils can be purchased from any health food store. The main botanical oils that aid in rejuvenating dry hair are coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil, corn oil, and jojoba oil.
All of these botanical oils are rich in Vitamin E as well as antioxidants, they seal the outer layer of your hair cuticle with moisture which is how they repair the damage.
Here’s how to use these oils to repair your hair:
- Warm half a cup of oil. Do not boil it.
- Massage the oil into your hair, gently.
- Use a warm towel to cover your hair.
- You can leave the oil in your hair for as little as 30 minutes or you can leave it on overnight.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly.
6. Try Some Beer
Believe it or not but beer actually acts as a really good hair conditioner. The protein in beer is what helps to repair hair cuticles that have been damaged from being extremely dry. One of the main tips to repair dry hair is to regularly condition your hair, so it makes sense that beer would make our list.
All you need to do is:
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as per usual.
- Pour some beer into a spray or spritz bottle.
- Spray some beer onto your hair and allow it to dry naturally. I promise that your hair will not smell like beer!
7. Apply A Gelatin Preparation
Plain gelatin is also an ideal protein source for your hair. It also coats your hair strands in order to moisturize them.
Here’s how to prepare this gelatin home remedy:
- Mix one cup of warm water with a tablespoon of gelatin.
- Allow the gelatin to partially set for 5 minutes.
- Add 6 drops of essential oil and a single teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the mixture to hair that is clean and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with tepid water (2 parts cold water and 1 part boiling water).
8. An Egg And Mayonnaise Mixture
If there’s one thing we know about eggs, its that they are high in protein. Evidently, so is mayonnaise. I’m sure you’ve picked up on a general trend by now, protein is a key ingredient needed to fortify your hair strands in order to lock in moisture.
You can either use either an egg-based mixture or a mayonnaise-based mixture, both are equally effective.
Here’s how to prepare an egg based hair mask:
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and your hair.
- Cover your hair for 30 minutes with a shower cap.
- Thoroughly wash and rinse your hair with shampoo and cool water.
Here’s how to prepare a mayonnaise based hair mask:
- Wet your hair with warm water.
- Apply a thick layer of mayonnaise to your hair, gently.
- Massage your scalp as well as your hair in order to work the mayonnaise in.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap for an hour (30 minutes if you’re under time constraints).
- Thoroughly wash and rinse your hair with shampoo and cool water.
9. Banana Hair Mask
Bananas are a rich source of potassium and also have a high moisture content! This makes them an ideal ingredient in treating extremely dry hair. Bananas have properties that can prevent split ends, improve hair elasticity, and also soften hair. I’m honestly surprised it’s taken me so long to try this banana hair mask; these benefits are amazing!
Here’s how to prepare the banana hair mask:
- Thoroughly mash a banana.
- Spread it into your hair as thoroughly as you can, start at the roots and work your way to the ends.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for an hour.
- Rinse your hair out with lukewarm water; make sure to get all the banana out.
If you have the money to splurge on a salon treatment, then, by all means, go for it. Whatever it takes to restore your beautiful hair! Here’s a shortlist of salon treatments that my friends swear by:
2 Amazing Salon Treatments To Fix Extremely Dry Hair
Inphenom is a 5 step in-salon treatment that repairs the outer cuticle of your hair as well as the cortex. It not only adds moisture, but it also restores shine to all hair types. This treatment is perfect for women who love to get their hair colored or highlighted and have dry hair as a result. You can see results in as little as 3 steps, but I highly recommend you get the full package and go for 5.
How much does the treatment cost?: Roughly $75.00
2. Wen Re-Moist
If you’re looking for an in-salon treatment that only consists of natural products, then Wen’s highly recommended Re-Moist treatment is your best bet. The treatment is 100% customized to meet your hair’s needs. A number of popular cleansing conditioners, vitamins, essential oils, vegetable color, and herbs are used to heal your hair strands as well as your scalp.
The treatment takes roughly 45 minutes, not including styling your hair.
How much does the treatment cost?: Approximately $50.00