If you’re planning on buying a wig anytime soon, you’re probably wondering how long you can expect it to last. I’ve done my research on this and here”s what I discovered!
Human hair wigs can last up to one year, and synthetic wigs last between 4-6 months. However, the durability of your wig depends on the type of hair your wig is made from, the cap construction, and how well you maintain your wig.
Keep reading to learn more about the different types of wigs and how long they last, as well as what you can do to make your wig last as long as possible.
Different Wig Cap Constructions & How Long They Last
When you want to buy a wig you have to consider the different cap constructions there are before you buy one. The different constructions have different benefits and give you different end result looks.
Also, the type of wig cap you prefer will in some cases determine what type of hair your wig will consist of.
Let’s take a look at the different wig cap constructions and what makes each of them unique:
|Type of Wig Construction:||Attachment Methods:||Lifespan of Wig:||Estimated Price of Wig:|
|Basic Wig Cap:|
(Also known as traditional wefts.)
|Clips/Glue/Elastic band||3-6 months (synthetic)|
1 year (human hair)
|$100 (Synthetic) or $200 (Human hair)|
|Open Cap Wefts:|
(Closely resembles the traditional weft, but is a lot lighter.)
|Glue/Tape/Adjustable Straps||3-6 months (synthetic)|
1 year (human hair)
(Synthetic) or $200 (Human hair)
|Glue/Tape/Clips||Up to 1 year||$185|
(Synthetic) or $245 (Human hair)
|Monofilament Caps: (Usually Hand-Made.)||Glue/Tape/Clips||3-6 months (synthetic)|
1 year (human hair)
(Synthetic) or $500(Human hair)
Human Hair Wigs And Synthetic Benefits
|Human Hair Wigs Benefits:||Synthetic Wigs Benefits:|
|Looks and feels natural||Affordable.|
|Lots of texture options||Time-Friendly|
|Can be styled as you please||Lots of exotic color options|
|Lasts the longest (up to 1 year)||Lasts up to 4-6 months if cared for properly|
Benefits of human hair wigs:
- Looks and feels natural. Human hair wigs are made of just that, human hair, therefore they look and feel amazing!
- Lots of texture options. When buying human hair, you have plenty of options when it comes to choosing a texture you want. You can buy Indian, Brazilian, Virgin, and many more.
- Can be styled as you please. Human hair can be colored, straightened, curled and even permed. This allows you full freedom when it comes to styling your hair.
- Lasts longer. If you are looking for a wig that will last you longer, a human hair wig will be your best option. 100% Virgin hair has the longest lifespan and will last for longer than a year. Human hair that has been chemically processed or colored, will still last longer than synthetic hair, hence it will still be a great investment.
Benefits of synthetic wigs:
- Affordable. Buying a synthetic wig will not cost you an arm and a leg and even though it doesn’t last as long as human hair, you can buy many different wigs that you can rotate, and that will extend their lifespan.
- Time-Friendly: Synthetic wigs keep their style, which means they are always ready to wear and takes close to no time to put it on. No styling or heat tools needed.
- Funky-colors. You can be super creative and spunky with all the different colors and styles that synthetic wigs have to offer. Synthetic wigs are available in almost every color and style you can think of.
Synthetic wigs as mentioned before will last at the longest between 4-6 months. Synthetic hair’s lifespan is much shorter than human hair, because of what they are made of.
Synthetic wigs are made of many different types of plastic fibers and fibers are not close to as strong as human hair. Synthetic wigs that are heat friendly will only last up to 3 months.
How To PROPERLY Wash Your Wig To Make It Last Longer?
Washing your wig frequently is an extremely important aspect of caring for your wig, whether it is synthetic or human hair. Similar to our own hair, wigs also get dirty after some time, and if you want to keep it looking and feeling its best, you need to clean it properly.
- Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner
- Wide-tooth comb
- Clean towel
- Wig stand
Step 01. Detangle
- Prior to the wash, make sure you carefully detangle the hair using a wide-tooth comb.
- Gently brush through and gently remove any tangles using a wide tooth comb.
- Do not pull or tug at the fibers.
Step 02. Wash
- Fill a bowl with cold water (NEVER hot, as heat damages fibers).
- Mix a capful of shampoo into the cool water.
- Place your wig under the water and allow it to soak for few minutes.
Step 03. Rinse
- Dunk your wig in a clean bowl of cool water to rinse out the shampoo.
- Do not squeeze or wring the wig.
Step 04. Condition
- Apply the conditioner to your wig, moving downwards from the
roots to tips.
- Leave in for 4–5 minutes.
- Rinse by dunking wig once more in clean cold water.
Step 05. Towel Dry
- Place the wig in between a clean towel and pat it dry very gently.
- Never squeeze, rub or wring your wig while it is drying, as this can damage it.
- Remove the wig from the towel.
Step 06. Style & Dry
- Gently shake the wig to reform its shape and style. Or, lightly style it with a comb or your fingers.
- Place the wig on a wig stand or over a large jar or vase to dry naturally. Never use a hairdryer, as the heat destroys synthetic fibers.
When buying a wig for yourself you have to decide what type of wig cap and hair you prefer. Your choice will ultimately determine how long your wig will last. Every wig cap and type of hair will differ in prices, you might want to spend more on a wig you can wear for longer or you may want to buy a few cheaper wigs that you can alternate, it is all up to you!
Can I sleep in my wig?
Sleeping in your wig is not really recommended by most wig experts. This is due to the fact that the friction between the pillow and the hair can cause it to break and frizz, especially if the pillow is not made from satin. Over time, this can cause the wig hair to become damaged and frayed. Sleeping in your wig should be OK if you do it once in a while and don’t make a habit of it.
Is it safe to wear a wig everyday?
You can wear your wig every day, but just be aware that doing this will significantly reduce the lifespan of your wig. Also, know that wearing a wig too often can also take its toll on the health of your scalp and natural hair. If you want to wear a wig daily, just make sure you take it off in the evenings to allow your scalp to breathe.